Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Can you describe a hospital as a miserable place?

Beside my mom's ward is an old couple. The patient, who is the wife, I heard from my father's gossip, is diagnosed to have some complications in her stomach. She is being taken cared of her loving husband. The wife is being stubborn when it comes to her food intake. She would prefer to eat instant noodles instead of the food rationed (which is obviously more nutritious) in the ward because the latter tastes bland for her, she seemed to have lost her sense of taste.

"Mommy, from now on we are going to follow what your doctor said. Hindi pwedeng instant noodles uli. Kailangan mong kumain ng marami, kahit matabang."

Yeah, they speak English, but what really amazed me is that, despite their old age, they have not lost their sweetness for each other. I was giggling in my mom's ward while eavesdropping to their thoughtful conversation. I thought these kind of scenes only exist in movies. (The Notebook specifically)

And funny how an accident can bring relatives together. At another ward is a patient who met an accident riding the jeepney. It seemed that she had all her relatives there! They were noisy, yes, but what will you hear are noises of laughter and endless reminiscing of moments. It really makes me feel nostalgic.

+++
While waiting for my mom to be released from the recovery room, my father and I bonded at the lounge area of the third floor of the hospital watching PBA. Whenever I watch basketball, I always lost track of the ball, and my eyes are always focused at the shot clock and the personalities watching the game. I never really watched basketball with my father at home, so the experience was new and overwhelming for me. My father was also kidding me about my uncle daw being a very famous basketball player. We call my wish-ko-lang uncle, 'Tito Sunday' lol.

My father took the courage of switching the channel from Channel 10 (ABC 5) to Channel 8 (ABS-CBN) so that he could watch the Singing Bee. Switching the channel to ABS-CBN attracted more relatives of the patient to watch at the lounge area, so my father found it hard to switch back the channel to PBA. After Singing Bee, Iisa Pa Lamang was aired, and I found out that my father keeps track of this telenovela because he can answer all my questions about its story!

Not a few moments after, my mom was transferred back to her ward from the recovery room. Her general anesthesia made her kinda groggy from the operation, but good thing she still recognized me as her daughter!

I was just happy my mother is very lively even after she was operated. Prayers are indeed answered. Thank you, God. :)

I am really happy right now. Scratch that. I feel euphoric. Elated. I feel like high on drugs, if I can describe it that way.

---
Its almost two in the morning and I am still awake. Thanks to the cheap coffee treat courtesy of my father. Coffee never tasted that good. :)

As my cousin would have put it, the whole experience was "Euphoria Bonanza!"

0 comments: